Saturday, September 7, 2013

Quote Game of Another Sort - Answers

{See original game here.} Below are what all the quotes are from and who said them (just in case you were wondering). The numbers in red indicate the non-P&P95 quotes.

1. "What does she mean by scampering about the country because her sister has a cold?"
~Caroline Bingley (P&P95)

2. "Affection is desirable. Money is absolutely indispensable."
~Becoming Jane, Mrs. Austen (I haven't even seen this movie, so it probably wasn't quite fair for me to stick this in here... but it reminded me a little of Mrs. Bennet.)

3. "With Father's estate entailed away from the female line, we have little but our charms to recommend us."
~Elizabeth Bennet (P&P95)

4. "What care I for colds when there is such a man?"
~Sense and Sensibility (1995), Marianne Dashwood

5. "Oh, your father may spare you if your mother can; daughters are never of much consequence to a father."
~Lady Catherine (P&P95)

6. "What are men to rocks and mountains?"
~I was curious to see what people would say here... it could either be Mary Bennet in Fake P&P (aka the 2005 version), or Elizabeth herself in the book.

7. "Count your blessings, Lizzy. If he liked you, you'd have to talk to him."
~P&P05, Charlotte Lucas

8. "Well, we're hoping Elizabeth can manage to catch a cold of her own and stay long enough to get engaged to Mr. Darcy. Then, if a good snowstorm could be arranged, we'd send Kitty over. But if a young man should happen to be in the house - a young man who likes singing, of course, who can discuss philosophy - Mary could go. Then, if a dashing young soldier in a handsome uniform should appear for Lydia, everything would be perfect, my dear."
~P&P 1940, Mr. Bennet

9. "How good it was in you, my dear Mr. Bennet! But I knew I should persuade you at last."
~Mrs. Bennet from The Book

10. "I wish, Miss Bennet, that you would not attempt to sketch my character at the present moment. I fear the performance would reflect no credit on either of us."
~Mr. Darcy (P&P95)

11. "Look at them! Five of them without dowries. What's to become of them?"
"Yes, what's to become of the wretched creatures? Perhaps we should have drowned some of them at birth."
~P&P 1940, Mrs. and Mr. Bennet

12. "It's been my experience, that an event looked forward to with much impatient desire, does not always brings its promised satisfaction."
~P&P 1980, Mary Bennet (As somebody pointed out, this is sort of a tweaked quote of something Elizabeth is thinking in the book.)

13. "And I hope you will pay Mr Collins every courtesy tonight, because he has been very attentive to you!"
~Mrs. Bennet (P&P95)

14. "How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!"
~Caroline Bingley, The Book

15. "Aye, aye, they have arms and legs enough between them, and are three of the silliest girls in
England."
~Mr. Bennet (P&P95)

16. "You make me feel quite envious. I have no brothers at all, only four sisters."
~Elizabeth Bennet (P&P95)

17. "That man is so full of himself, I'm surprised he can stay on that horse."
~Emma 2009, Mr. Knightley. ;)

18. "And even Mr Darcy, you know, may improve on closer acquaintance."
~Jane Bennet (P&P95)

19. "Upon my word! You give your opinion very decidedly for so young a person! Pray, what is
your age?"
~Lady Catherine (P&P95)

20. "Well, my dear, if this be the case, he deserves you. I could not have parted with you to anyone less worthy, Lizzy."
~Mr. Bennet (P&P95

***
As for the winner, there is a tie between Miss Dashwood and Katrina with 12 points each. (The highest possible is 20.) Good job, everyone!

No comments: