Friday, August 30, 2013

How I Met P&P95: Miss Darcy

And here is another story from a member of our club who goes by Miss Darcy. :)


Firstly, I must say that was I very, VERY glad I met with P&P95! :)

My story starts when I was about eight or nine years old. I had never read a great deal (as a pastime), and I think Jane Austen's books had a part in inspiring me to read more for pleasure.

I had never read the book Pride & Prejudice, but I had heard of it and knew that Jane Austen wrote it. It wasn’t until one time when my Mum bought the first part of P&P95 at a sale or something and watched it with us.  I sort-of watched it then out of mere interest, but then I got to like it. I’m not quite sure what appealed to me at the time, maybe it was that I liked Mr. Darcy, or Lizzy, or that I thought Mr. Collins was funny and Mary stupid – I don’t know! But then, (we only had Episodes 1-3 at the time) I knew enough to know that Elizabeth had to marry Mr. Darcy, so I just couldn’t let it end like that! After we watched episodes 1-3, Mum read out the book where Episode 3 left off....And Mr. Darcy’s letter was most interesting......

Once we got the second part, I was really eager to keep watching, and my expectations were not let down! I then had to read the book, of course, and I enjoyed it very much. After that I sought other books by Jane Austen. I found  Emma at the library, and Mum bought a copy of Sense & Sensibility (which, obviously, I have read) and watching three versions of the former and two of the latter. P&P95 is one of my favourite movies, and Jane Austen is now my favourite author. Mum acquired  both the paperback and kindle versions of Northanger Abbey and a kindle version of Mansfield Park. I am reading both at the moment, and I am greatly enjoying both. I am certain P&P95 will remain a firm favourite for a long time to come!

You can visit Miss Darcy at her blog, Jane Austen & Her Kind.

No comments: