Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Talk Like Jane Austen

In celebration of the 202nd anniversary of Sense and Sensibility's publication, today (October 30), as determined but... somebody important, is "Talk Like Jane Austen Day." So assume a Regency demeanor and have a splendid time quoting your heart out and trying to speak as if you've been transported two centuries back in time.


One thing I've always loved about P&P95 is all the wonderful talking they do. For new devotees it will take some time to become accustomed to--it did for me, back in those days--but I always thought it sounded delightful, and the actors do a lovely job of making it seem realistic.

What do you think are some of the best-sounding quotes from Pride and Prejudice? (Or any other Jane Austen story, if you like!)

Visit the web page for Talk Like Jane Austen Day here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love their language too and the P&P quote I use the most often would have to be "You must allow me to tell you..." or "It is a truth universally acknowledged..." Although I must confess that I don't quote Jane Austen that often at all. Must remedy that!

- The Elf

Joan said...

I love how they really seem like a family. I like the "It is a truth universally . . ." and "Such as I was from eight to eight and twenty; and I still might have been but for you, dearest, loveliest Elizabeth!"
Yours ever,
Joan