Saturday, May 18, 2013

Game the Twenty-Second: Answers!

Here are the answers and results for the fill-in-the-blanks quote game.



1
Mary: Unhappy as the event must be for Lydia,  we must draw from it this useful lesson: that loss of virtue in a female is irretrievable.
Mrs. Gardiner: My dear Mary, this is hardly helpful.
Mary: For a woman's reputation is no less brittle than it is beautiful. Therefore we cannot be too guarded in our behavior towards the undeserving of the other sex.
Elizabeth: Yes... thank you, Mary.

2
"I am determined that nothing but the very deepest love will induce me into matrimony. So, I shall end an old maid, and teach your ten children to embroider cushions and play their instruments very ill!"
~Elizabeth

3
Elizabeth: She is full young to be out much in company. But really, ma'am, I think it would be very hard upon younger sisters, that they not have their share of society and amusement, simply because their elder sisters have not the means or inclination to marry early.
Lady Catherine: Upon my word!  You give your opinion very decidedly for so young a person.

4
Mrs. Gardiner: Is this the proud Darcy you told us of? He’s all ease and friendliness, no false dignity at all!
Elizabeth: I'm as astonished as you are. I can't imagine what has affected this transformation.
Mrs. Gardiner: Can you not?

5
Mr. Collins: She is unfortunately of a sickly constitution which unhappily prevents her being in town. And by that means, as I told Lady Catherine myself one day, she has deprived the British court of its brightest ornament.  You may imagine, sir, how happy I am on every occasion to offer those delicate little compliments which are always acceptable to ladies.
Mr. Bennet: It is fortunate for you, Mr. Collins, that you possess such an extraordinary talent for flattering with delicacy. May I ask whether these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are they the result of previous study?

6
Lady Catherine: Obstinate, headstrong girl! I'm ashamed of you. I have not been in the habit of brooking disappointment!
Elizabeth: That will make your ladyship's situation at present more pitiable, but it will have no effect on me.

7
Elizabeth: I remember hearing you once say that you hardly ever forgave, that your resentment once
created was implacable. You are very careful, are you not, in allowing your resentment to be
created?
Darcy: I am.
Elizabeth: And never allow yourself to be blinded by prejudice?
Darcy: I hope not. May I ask to what these questions tend?
Elizabeth: Merely to the illustration of your character; I am trying to make it out.

8
Elizabeth: Do you mean to frighten me, Mr Darcy, by coming in all this state to hear me? But I won't be
alarmed; my courage always rises with every attempt to intimidate me.
Mr. Darcy: I know you find great enjoyment  in professing opinions which are not your own.
Elizabeth: Your cousin would teach you not to believe a word I say, Colonel Fitzwilliam. That is
ungenerous of him, is it not?
Col. Fitzwilliam: It is indeed, Darcy!
Elizabeth: Impolitic, too, for it provokes me to retaliate and say somewhat of his behavior in
Hertfordshire which may shock his relations.

9
Mrs Bennet: I don't know what will become of us all, indeed I do not! And I cannot bear to think of
Charlotte Lucas being mistress of this house! That I should be forced to make way for her
and live to see her take my place in it!
Mr Bennet: My dear, do not give way to such gloomy thoughts. Let us hope for better things; let us
flatter ourselves, that I might outlive you.

10
"And this is your opinion of me. My faults by this calculation are heavy indeed! But perhaps
these offences might have been overlooked had not your pride been hurt by the honest
confession of the scruples which had long prevented my forming any serious design on you.
Had I concealed my struggles and flattered you. But disguise of every sort is my abhorrence."
~Mr. Darcy

~~~
I would not modernize the language of P&P on any account. Honestly, the way they speak is so beautiful. I wish everybody talked like that now. I wish I could effortlessly speak that way. :D

Anyways. Scores!

Our winner is.... Caroline L., who got everything right! :)
And our runners-up...
Katrina - 92
Lizzie - 92
Katy-Anne - 46
The Elf - 40
Livia Rachelle - 36

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

Ah, "concealed my STRUGGLES"! Of course. I knew I would feel silly. I don't even want to go look at my original answer. I can't believe I couldn't remember that! =P