For my birthday I received a copy of the book The Making of Pride and Prejudice, which pleased me very much. So as I've been poking through there, I've been gleaning all sorts of new and interesting trivia facts, so I decided to compile a little quiz. All you have to do is identify the facts as true or false.
1. The lady who owned Luckington Court (Longbourn) and let her house be disrupted for the filming was offered the role of an extra in P&P, but declined.
2. The actors who played Sir William and Lady Lucas were married in real life.
3. Colin Firth had read Pride and Prejudice before being offered the role of Mr. Darcy.
4. Jennifer Ehle first read P&P when she was twelve, and adored it (and Elizabeth) from the very first.
5. Lucy Davis (Maria Lucas) originally auditioned for Lydia Bennet.
6. Crispin Bonham-Carter was partially chosen because he looked distinctively different than Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy so that no one would get them confused.
7. Susannah Harker (Jane) and Jennifer Ehle (Lizzy) both had wigs made to play their characters..
8. There was a slight panic when the dance scenes at Lucas Lodge were about to be filmed, because somebody had recently waxed the floor and it was far too slippery to dance on. The polish wouldn't come off so someone finally suggested un-slip-ifying the floor by mopping it with Coke, and it worked.
Answers will be posted this weekend.