Friday, September 13, 2013

How I Met P&P95: Miss Margaret Dashwood and Lizzie

Today things will be a little different--there will be two shorter stories rather than one longer.


From Miss Margaret Dashwood:

When I was about ten? eight? I flipped through the first few chapters of the book, but didn’t understand it all. It really didn’t interest me and I never got farther than the part about ‘not handsome enough to tempt me.’ I think I actually saw P&P 05 first!!*embarrassed smile* but I didn’t like it. We purchased the 1995 movie in two separate parts and after watching the first half, I got out the book and read it from cover to cover and I loved it! For the next few weeks: “Mum, Mum, can you PLEEEAAAASE buy the second half of P&P???” I think we watched it in one afternoon when we finally got it!
So that’s how I met Pride and Prejudice 1995, and I haven’t looked back!


From Lizzie:

When Pride and Prejudice was first aired in 1995, I was only 4 years old, and therefore had little appreciation for it at the time. My parents had recently seen the 1995 Sense and Sensibility, and they loved it, so they were eager to see this new period drama. It quickly became one of their favorites, and they watched it often. As I grew older, I started to find it more interesting, particularly the pretty hairstyles and dresses. Finally, at the age of 14, Mom told me that I should read the book Pride and Prejudice, and so I read the whole wonderful novel, and immediately knew I had to watch the entire mini-series. I had seen bits and pieces before, but reading the book was what prompted me to sit down and watch it from beginning to end. I was delighted and enthralled. I think it’s the best Pride and Prejudice film adaptation that will ever exist.  Since then, I’ve read the book many more times and each time I finish the book, I always feel that I must watch the perfect movie adaptation again; it's a lovely little cycle of felicity. I try very diligently to steer all my friends away from the most recent, hideous monstrosity masquerading as Pride and Prejudice, and introduce them instead to the most faithful, beautiful adaptation of Pride and Prejudice: fondly known as P&P95.

Learn more about this blog series here

No comments: